The Pure Drop is an exploration and celebration of traditional and World Music. This website brings you musical performances from all over the global village, and explores the stories behind the music of multicultural Australia. The stories are presented in eleven episodes that combine short video documentary with interactivity.
Each episode focusses on one artist and one aspect of the music such as the vocal style and technique, instrumentation, lyrics , the tune or the passing down of musical traditions. The Pure Drop also explores the cultural context of the music, and issues arising from globalisation and the impact of digital technology.
By following links associated with the featured video in any Pure Drop episode, you can access additional material about the artist or topics featured in the video. These include extended interviews or performances, maps, transcripts, lyrics and musical notations and much more. Each episodes is also accompanied by a study guides with links to curricula used in secondary schools throughout Australia.
The Pure Drop was produced by Ether Multimedia and jointly funded and supported by the Australian Film Commission, Telstra and the Australian Broadcasting Corporation under the the Australian Government's Broadband Production Initiative.
Developed and produced in association with the Australian Film Commission
Produced with the assistance of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation
- Writer, Director and Project Designer — Thomas Ashelford, Ether Multimedia
- Producer — Ingrid Spielman, Ether Multimedia
- Executive Producer — Ron Saunders
- Camera — Stephen Macdonald and Peter Talbot
- Artist (website graphics) — Reg Mombassa
- Script Editor — Sue Castrique
- Video Editor — Leah Donovan
- Additional Camera and Video Enhancement Editor — Jayda Tham
- Additional Camera and Location Sound — David Opitz
- Content Consultant — Josh Martin
- Interaction Consultant, Site Styling and Flash Development — Greg Turner
- Project Accountant — Trish Redman
- Additional Location Sound — Nathan Codner
- Production Assistance — Michelle Craig
- Legal Affairs — Caroline Verge
- Co—producer during development — Molly Reynolds
- Camera for the Pilot — Andrew G. Taylor
- Sound Recordist for the Pilot — Richard Strangelove
- Camera during development — Neil Johnson
- Educational materials written and prepared by — Anna Yerbury
- Website Editor and Contributing Writer — Kirsten Krauth
- Animation on front page — Michael Badman
For the Australian Film Commission
- AFC Project Manager - Peter Kaufmann
For the Australian Broadcasting Corporation
- Manager, Co-productions - Domenic Friguglietti
- Producer for ABC - Sam Doust
- Project Officer - Kylie Liggins
- Publicity Coordinator - Nicola Fern
- Research Analyst - Gabby Shaw
- Brenton Willis
Yvonne and (late) Gustav Spielman, The Waltons, Alan Bearman (Waterson:Carthy), Buzby Burchill, David Van der Kley, Martien Coucke, Rani Olafsdottir (Icelandic translations), Tina Tampio, (Kalevala Information Centre), Janne Seppänen (translator in Finland), Karl Mattas (Finnish translations), Roger Grierson, Mushi Jenner (Sincere Management), John - The Harp Hotel - Tempe, John Frohlich and Richard Saunders (Canberra Institute of Technology), Jan Nary - Publicist at the National Folk Festival, Rebecca Ternes (Flight Centre), Terry O’Brien (Jim Moray), Phillip Page (Värttinä), Rúnar Sigurdsson - Eric the Red Guesthouse, Hans Hjorth (Garmana), Alan James (Yothu Yindi), Jack Schuller and Jill Brooksbank (Tanya Tagaq), Andy Irvine, Xenos, Richard Robinson, Mr. Malaska, Mara Kiek and the Martenitsa Choir, Lúnasa, Jepokryddonna, Gráda, Huun-Huur-Tu, Emily Smith Band, Felpeyu and Garry at American Express Travel.
- Joe Ferguson - Fitzroy Warehouse
- Park Head Studios, Huddersfield UK, Concerts Sweden
- Darren Miller and Julie Evans at the Hare and Hounds, Brighton, UK
- Hector Christie, Both Sides of the Tweed Festival
- David Clark - Town Hall Manager, Oxford, UK
- Tim Healy - Manager of the Oxford Folk Festival
The Pure Drop is dedicated to the memory of Igor Medio and Carlos Redondo of Asturian band, Felpeyu. Two brilliant and inspired musicians who are gone but not forgotten.